History & Heritage

history

How it all began . .

On the 12th February 1947, the Interim Committee of the Surrey County Association of Boys Clubs met at the House of Commons: Lt Col. The Earl of Onslow MC, (Chair); Alderman S.H. Marshall, MP; The Lord Aberdare: Mr H C Hodges and Alderman F Mitchell, JP.

They were later joined by Rear Admiral F, N Attwood and the Mayor’s of Sutton, Mitcham, Kingston, Richmond and Croydon and affiliated to the National Association of Boys Clubs (NABC) to promote the physical, mental and spiritual welfare of adolescent boys in all parts of the county.

Youth club leaders came together to form a ‘friendly Association’, to discuss the development needs of young men and to establish competitions, events and activities. Leadership training courses were run by NABC with assistance from their Physical Training Advisor to provide interesting ideas for physical activities within the clubs.

Evolving to reflect changes in Society . .

The post-war emphasis on male sporting activities was replaced by a more inclusive approach that offered activities with a broader appeal such as arts. Youth clubs were opened up to young girls and focussed on being at the centre of the community.

Being independent means that SCYP have no political, religious or other barriers to inclusion.

Registered Charity

Surrey Clubs for Young People (SCYP)
is a registered charity no. 305153

Address

Units 1, 3 and 4 Edolphs Farm,
Norwood Hill Road,
Charlwood, Surrey, RH6 03B

Contact

Email: admin@scyp.co.uk
Tel: 01293 862528

Image Gallery

 photo pool-1_zps30de76ce.jpg